Anthony Taylor takes on responsibility for a Premier League game


Referee Anthony Taylor became embroiled in controversy during the Championship match he refereed last weekend.

After serving just one week in jail, Anthony Taylor, the recently demoted English official is set to return to England’s top flight. After giving a controversial decision in Newcastle United’s Premier League match against Wolves, the referee found himself in the middle of many controversies. Taylor was demoted from the Premier League to the Championship after the controversy. After only one match and a week, it appears that Taylor will be back to officiate the crucial Chelsea vs Man City game. 

Watch Germany & Bayern Munich legend Oliver Kahn return to India after 15 years

Check ISL 2023-24 points table

Oliver Kahn is greeted by AIFF President Kalyan Chabey before his visit to India

Anthony Taylor was demoted for a controversial decision he made in the Wolves-Newcastle United match. Last week, he was demoted from the Premier League to the Championship. It seems that he was only punished for one week and only officiated one match. Taylor is returning to England’s premier league after officiating only the Preston North End-Coventry City match. According to reports, Taylor will be given the responsibility of officiating the crucial Chelsea vs Man City fixture.

The game ended in a 1-1 tie when Wolves’ winger Hwang Hee Chan knocked down Newcastle United’s defender Fabian Schar while trying to clear the football. Referee Anthony Taylor spotted the incident and pointed at the penalty spot. VAR confirmed his decision. Jarred Gillett was the VAR official who made the decision at Stockley Park. He decided it was not necessary for Taylor to review the incident again on his monitor. A penalty was therefore given.

Chelsea vs Man City after officiating only one The Championship gameChelsea vs Man City after officiating only one The Championship game

Callum Wilson scored a goal from the penalty area in the first-half injury time. Newcastle United led the match before the break. Hwang Hee Chan equalised in the 71st minutes of the match for Wolves. Despite this, many people continued to criticize Taylor’s controversial call. PGMOL issued no apology statement and Gillett, the VAR official was not punished. Taylor was demoted, however, to England’s second tier competition, the Championship.

Share This Article
Leave a comment